MCA ‘SMALL FISHING VESSELS’ ROADSHOW
The MCA are hosting a roadshow at the following venues to answer questions and help get the fishing community up to speed with existing requirements and proposed changes.
- Swansea: Wednesday 2 October, 10am to 1pm , Harbour Office, Lockhead, King's Dock, Swansea, SA1 1QR
- Holyhead: Wednesday 16 October, 10am to 1pm: Holyhead Sailing Club, Newry Beach, Holyhead LL65 1BD
- Aberystwyth: Thursday 17 October, 10am to 1pm: RNLI Boathouse, Town Quay SY23 1JH
- Milford Haven: TBC
Over the last 10 years, 46 people have died on fishing vessels of less than 15m, so the MAIB have made several recommendations to improve safety and make the water a safer place for all fishermen.
To address some of these recommendations, the MCA have been developing a new Code of Practice for Small Fishing Vessels.
The Code proposes new requirements for all vessels in:
- Construction, watertight and weathertight integrity
- Electrical installations
- Crew protection
- Man overboard recovery
- In and out of water inspections